From its inception as a small downtown San Antonio bank in 1868, Frost Bank has grown into a multi-billion dollar, full-service financial institution located in all major Texas markets.
T.C. Frost arrived in Texas after graduating from college to take a job as a professor. . . in 1899, he obtained a national charter for his $1.3 million bank.
Col. Frost died in 1903, By 1922, the bank built a 12-story skyscraper on Main Plaza where the original business once stood. And in 1928, under the guidance of the Frost family, the bank merged with San Antonio’s oldest bank, Lockwood National Bank. With new size and strength, Frost was solid enough to weather the Great Depression. In 1977, the bank merged with Cullen Bankers of Houston, creating the holding company Cullen/Frost Bankers In 1997, the banks solid reputation and strong performance made a listing on the New York Stock Exchange.
Filed under: Archives |